The Chignecto Isthmus And Its First Settlers

The Chignecto Isthmus And Its First Settlers


Oh, let us pray more and advise them to turn to the Lord with all their hearts.

"Please to remember me kindly to all the family.I do feel a sincere regard for you all and wish to meet you in the Land of God.

"Farewell, "From your unworthy friend, "WM.BLACK."Policene Gore's mother had a more than ordinarily eventful life.Her grandson Edward writes:

"My grandmother was born in the United States, then the New England colonies.Her first husband was Captain Ward; their home was near the garrison on Grattan Heights.Captain Ward arrived home from sea with his vessel the day before Arnold made his attack on the garrison, and, joining in the defence, was fatally shot.Mrs.Ward's next husband was my grandfather Gore, who was also a sea-captain.Some years after they were married Captain Gore took his wife to Fort Lawrence, Nova Scotia, where they had friends, and her husband returned with his vessel to make another voyage, but was never heard from after.It was supposed the vessel was lost with all on board."After living some years in widowhood, Mrs.Gore married a Mr.Foster, a school-teacher.They lived for a time in a house on the school lands in Jolicure.The schoolmaster did not live long to enjoy his married life.

His successor was a Mr.Trites, of Salisbury.He only lived a few months after marriage.Mrs.Trites' fifth and last husband was a Mr.

Siddall, of Westmoreland Point.After his death Mrs.Siddall lived with her daughter, Mrs.Trueman, where, in the words of her grandson, "she lived eighteen years, a happy old woman and a blessing in the family."She was in her eighty-fourth year at the time of her death.

Mrs.Siddall's house was the only one in the village not burned during the battle of Grattan's Heights.It is still kept in repair, and called the Gore House.Harmon, a grandson, visited the Heights a few years ago, and was present at the one-hundredth anniversary of the battle.

Recently a letter came into the possession of Edward Trueman, written by his great-grandmother to his grandmother.Among other things, she writes: "I hear that you are married again, and that Policene is also married.I have not heard either of yours husbands' names; do write, and let me know them."Policene Gore was born in 1788, and Thomas Trueman in 1786, which would make them seventeen and nineteen years old when the marriage knot was tied--a young couple to start out in life.

John married Nancy Palmer, September 12th, 1805, William married Jane Ripley, January 22nd, 1806, and Harmon, the first-born, married Cynthia Bent, June 8th, 1807.The four eldest sons were married within the year and a half, and on April 14th, 1808, Sallie, the eldest daughter, entered the matrimonial haven.This was thinning out the old home pretty fast.The sons, however, all settled near Prospect, and were several years getting finally located in their own homes.Harmon took the Mauger farm left him by his grandfather; Thomas, the Patten farm, joining the glebe.John settled at Mount Whatley; Willie took the mill property and farm now in possession of his grandsons, Amos and Johnston Trueman.

The drain on the home place to start for themselves so many of the family, and in so short a time, must have been considerable.Harmon had a house, and barn to build.Several entries in the journal refer to his getting out timber.On July 16th, 1806, Harmon raised his house.This house, yet one of the most comfortable in the place, is at present the property of A.C.Carter.Mrs.Carter is a granddaughter of Harmon.

April 22nd, 1806, I find this entry: "Robert Dickey and Nellie Chapman married.Started to frame the new mill.""May 3rd--Saw mill and barn raised."

No mention is made of building a house for Willie, so probably there was one on the place.John and his wife lived for a time in the Scurr house, and for a time with Willie, before finally settling at Mount Whatley.Sallie married Gilbert Lawrence, of Westmoreland.It is said Sallie had an admirer who lived in Halifax, and occasionally visited Cumberland, and who in later years became a prominent official in the executive of that city.

In the early days and admirer a hundred miles distant was at a great disadvantage, and the "Fooler lad," as Sallie's mother called young Lawrence, won the prize.

Amos Fowler, of Westmoreland, or Fowler's Hill, married Miss Keillor, a sister of Mrs.Trueman.He was a Loyalist, and after living in this country some years, he visited the old home in New England, and on his return to New Brunswick brought with him his nephew, Gilbert Lawrence.

After his marriage Gilbert settled at Amherst Point, and from there moved to Maccan, now called Southampton, where he was a very successful farmer for many years.He left the Maccan farm to a son a few years before his death, and bought a farm in Nappan.Here he spent the last years of his life, honored and respected for his sterling character.

Howard Trueman